At this time of the year, when the tides are high, we like to run the beaches for firewood logs. Today was a little different, though. Today we were looking for float logs.
     I love almost everything about living in a floathouse. It’s such a unique, adventurous lifestyle. I love looking out the window and seeing the forest move by my window as the wind tugs my house against my mooring lines. Or watching the lofty cedar, spruce and hemlock trees shrink as my house rises on the tide. As a kid I loved swimming right off the front porch. Kids who now visit love to fish off the front deck for perch, or row right up to the house in rowing skiffs. Of course they have to wear life jackets every time they step out the door, just as we did when we were kids.
     But there’s one thing I really don’t like about living in a floathouse in this neck of the woods.
     The logs that provide the “float” in floathouse are under constant attack by seagoing, wood eating bugs so voracious they make those mutant 1950s B-movie, sci-fi/horror bugs look like slackers.

Last year it was parents’ float we worked on. That was an epic production…maybe not quite on the scale of building the Hoover Dam, carving out the Panama Canal or landing a man on the moon, but close.
     In order to slide a new, eighty foot log into their float it was necessary to turn their house lengthwise in our narrow inlet. This meant we had to detach it from not only it’s many shorelines but also from all the floating structures attached to it: my dad’s shop, generator shed, dock, my nephews’ cabin (the man cave) a greenhouse and garden. Its power lines and water line also had to be detached. My house is further back in the inlet, but I do have one surge line to their float, and my power and water line comes off of theirs, plus a series of walk planks bridge the distance between us, so all of those things had to be detached, too.
     We had to work with the tides so it was a mad dash of constant labor to get it all ready before the tide came in. When it came time to turn the house we were fortunate enough to have four men from the nearby fishing village show up to help us, with the additional power of their skiffs. As it happened, three of them were related to us.
     This was in November when the days were much shorter and they’d barely managed to haul us into place–or as close as they could get, since something hung up on the bottom and left the house at a slight angle that worried us–when it got dark and they had to head back home.

     My dad and I waited for the tide to go out enough for us to slide the log into position. He’d arranged for a rope and pulley system for us to pull on. Working with miner’s headlamps we started pulling and the log started to slide into its slot. But then tide started to run out too fast and we couldn’t get enough leverage to pull it in quickly enough. I knew, from our last experience of putting a new log in the float that there was only one option, one my dad didn’t want to employ. But we really didn’t have a choice, since we didn’t dare let the house go dry with half the log sticking out. On the next tide it might break the brow log and pull the entire float apart.
     So I ran down the length of the log and jumped into the waist deep water. Alaskan waters in November, even in this more temperate part of the state, are not particularly warm. I didn’t have time for histrionics though, so with heroic fortitude I put my shoulder to the log and pushed while he pulled on the rope. Okay, to be honest it really wasn’t as cold as I was expecting, and it really wasn’t a major hardship to stay in the water for a while, pushing the log a couple feet, then waiting for more purchase according to the tide’s movements. I learned a long time ago, as a child, how to let the body adjust to these waters. Unfortunately we only managed to ge three quarters of the log under the house before we were finally high and dry with no more tide.
     When I got out of the water and worked in the cold night air for a little while–then I got chilled. My mom had cooked us a great meal and she made me hot chocolate and wrapped me in warm blankets which went a long way toward warming me up again. We stayed up until 2 am until the next tide. My dad put a cumalong on the log, replacing the rope and pulley, so I wouldn’t have to get in the water again. However, we couldn’t budge the log. Not even an inch.

As soon as the tide went back out–again the log wouldn’t budge–my dad decided to cut his losses, literally. He’d saw twelve feet off the log (the butt end, the biggest part of it–you see why it’s called that) which might make the log slide the rest of the way into place.
     The problem was that it was forecasted to blow up a gale that afternoon, which meant it was imperative that we get the house back into position and re-tied to shore. This meant that we’d have to turn the house with more than a dozen feet of log sticking out, even after my dad cut it. Unfortunately, when the tide went out, once the house was back in position, the log would sit down on a big rock pile. This would unquestionably cause the brow log (the horizontal log that ties all the other logs in place and keeps them together in a float) to break. And that would be the ultimate catastrophe of floathouse living, on a par with the disastrous space mission Apollo 13, at least.
      Okay, so maybe that’s a sliiight exaggeration.

      My dad and I grabbed picks, shovels and a logging peavy to use as a lever. We were racing against the tide so we couldn’t take many breaks, even though we were using our hands and backs to move thousands of pounds or rocks and dirt. One rock fought back. It weighed around three hundred pounds and liked where it had dug itself in. We both used levers to get it up out of the mud and then while my dad held it, I got down in a crouch to push it over.
     My dad’s lever slipped, hitting him in the head and striking my finger. The rock tumbled and I shot over it and landed on my hands in the rocks and mud. We didn’t have time to do more than check to see if we were semi-functional before we tackled the smug behemoth again. We triumphed in the second effort and then set about digging out a channel for the log to sit in when the tide went out.
     Finally, we got it done, both of us blowing like racehorses after the last leg of the Triple Crown. Not that we had a chance to rest. My dad sawed off the big end of the log while I got everything ready for turning the house, this time by muscle power since it was already blowing and no one from the village was going to show up in their skiffs. Then, to our surprised delight, my twenty-two-year-old nephew Sterling showed up. He’d hiked the wilderness miles between the village and our place to be able to help us. He’s six feet and athletic–and young–so we were more than happy to exploit him. My mom kept the toasted cheese sandwhiches coming, which really helped his enthusiasm level.
     As the tide came in, Sterling worked the cumalong and the log slid all the way into position as slick as you please.  Apparently it was only the big end of the log, that my dad had just bucked off, that had been holding it back. This meant that our heroics with the rock pile had all been for nothing.

I got to take a break until the tide came all the way in and then we pulled the house back into position by pulling on the mooring lines to shore. (I’d had to chop one with the ax when we first turned the house, and then replace it–one of the things we’d had to fit in that morning.)
     By then it was blowing a gale so we couldn’t re-attach the dock. And we had a hard time of it holding the house in position by pure muscle power against the strong northerly blowing. We weren’t able to get the house exactly back in its slot, which worried my dad since it could sit down in the wrong place and again possibly break the brow logs.
     We managed to get the generator float back into position, but that was it. As soon as there was a break in the weather Sterling had to go back to the village to help his dad work on his float. Happily, although the floathouse did end up sitting down outside its usual track, nothing bad happened. And, even more happily, my parents’ house floated much higher on that side. Now we have to work on the other side….

     It took my dad and me more than two weeks after that to get everything back to the way it was supposed to be. It’s amazing how much easier it is to dismantle and detach something than to put it back together. Less fun, too.
     We were without water for a week, trying to jockey the waterline back into position. I was without power for a few days, but fortunately my battery system held up.
      One of the best things about this experience is how disorienting, in an intriguing, sci-fi way, it is to look out your windows and see an entirely different view, and to have light streaming in through different windows at a different slant. Our entire little neighborhood was rearranged for several days, which made it seem new and different–or as if we’d stepped into an alternate reality for a few days. My cat kept wanting to go outside to look at it, and then she’d turn and look at me and meow. She did this five times in a row, obviously asking me to do something about the complete disruption of her normal world.

     But that was last year. This year we were working on my house, starting first with finding logs that had enough flotation and were long enough to be suitable.  We didn’t have to turn my house since we were just going to add logs to the outside of my float and use a cross-timber, or piling, to keep them in place.
     My dad knew where there was one appropriate log, that had come out of an old dock system, but it spent most of its time high and dry far above the usual tideline. Today, though, the tide was an eighteen footer and we had a chance of pulling it off the rocks it sat on.

My new float log.

It was such a high tide that when we set out in the skiff we found ourselves surrounded by seagulls. They had staked out our firewood logs and were socializing on all the rocks that enclose our inlet. The large rock they usually roosted on had been submerged by the tide.
     A large swell was starting to build from the south and we saw a black line on the horizon, warning of bad weather on the way. A lone fishing boat from the nearby village  was out trolling for late coho. Once we turned the corner the water flattened out and we were able to race right to the targeted log. To our pleasant surprise it was completely afloat and we wouldn’t have to work it out of its rock cradle.
      I hooked it with the pike pole and my dad put the skiff in reverse and we gently towed it out into deeper water.
      We set it adrift and then checked out a couple of logs that had shared the same old dock system with the first log, but they were both too eaten off at one end to be of any use. We ran the beaches looking for any other possibles, but came up empty. We did see some rare fall foliage, though, standing out against the evergreens. Mostly crabapple trees, possibly an alder or two turning color early. The cedar trees gave a half-hearted nod to autumn with orange patches all over them, as if they were turning rusty from all the fall rain.
      By the time we picked up our log, taking it in tow, the strait was white with big combers. The fishing boat was bucking into them. Even with its stabies out (stabilizer/trolling poles with anchors attached) it looked like a rocking horse, the bow pointing up and then plowing back down.
     It was raining now, but we checked out a few logs in our own inlet and found one that would work in a pinch. Which was exactly what we had going on–my float logs, lovely and big when I first built my house, were in an advanced state of anorexia nervosa–mere skeletons to all appearances.
     But that’s enough for one day. Adding the logs to the float will have to wait for the right tides.

     (To be continued….)

Allan Cobb

10/3/2015 09:20:17 am

I enjoyed your beautiful seagull photo here.

And normally, I tend to like bugs also.

But not so much when those bugs bug me.

And now, I’m thinking about this. — Just when a guy believed it safe to float leisurely in the waters – – – And simply admire the sights of soaring seagulls – – – All of a sudden – – –

Home-Chomping Sea Bugs?

Wholesalely Munching me out of house ‘n’ home? — Who knew?



10/3/2015 11:00:45 am

Hi, Allan! Thanks for the funny comment. Yep, it’s a much scarier world than you ever knew….Do you hear the theme for The Twilight Zone? Or wait–is that the theme for THEM! or The Blob, I’m hearing….?

Stay tuned.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply